"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Homework teaches students to work independently and develop self-discipline. Homework encourages students to take initiative and responsibility for completing a task. Homework allows parents to have an active role in their child's education and helps them to evaluate their child's progress. The dog ate it, I got the wrong week, it got totally ruined are all facts. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure they complete all homework on time to ensure success at Kings Langley School.
Top 14 reasons why homework is important:
- It improves your child’s thinking and memory.
- It helps your child develop positive study skills and habits that will serve him or her well throughout life.
- Homework encourages your child to use time wisely.
- It teaches your child to work independently.
- Homework teaches your child to take responsibility for his or her work.
- It allows your child to review and practice what has been covered in class.
- It helps your child to get ready for the next day’s class.
- Homework helps your child learn to use resources, such as libraries, reference materials, and computer websites to find information.
- It encourages your child to explores subjects more fully than classroom time permits.
- It allows your child to extend learning by applying skills to new situations.
- It helps your child integrate learning by applying many different skills to a single task, such as book reports or science projects.
- Homework helps parents learn more about what your child is learning in school.
- It allows parents to communicate about what he or she is learning.
- It encourages parents to spark your child’s enthusiasm.
To support students, staff and parents with online and home learning the school uses two tools, Microsoft School and Show My Homework.
Show My Homework is a simple online solution for students and parents to view homework details and upcoming deadlines.
Show My Homework: Benefits for Pupils
- Keeping their homework organised and in one place.
- No need to write down homework before leaving class.
- Sends reminders for when homework is due.
- Helps show how much homework they have and supports planning.
- Keeps them up to date when you’re away from school.
- Pupils access Show My Homework through their account. If they have lost this they can still access the homework through the school website.
Show My Homework: Benefits for Parents/Carers
- Visibility - see exactly how much homework has been set and when it’s due.
- See how long the homework should take to complete.
- See when homework has been submitted.
- Get notifications straight to your phone.
Mobile apps and notifications ensure parents/carers always know what homework has been issued and when it is due.
Parents/Carers access Show My Homework through their unique account and PIN number that was sent out at the start of the year. If you do not have this please contact the school office.
The Government advised that secondary school children should do two and a half hours of homework per night, but the guidance was scrapped in 2012, and it is now up to schools to decide how much to set. A study of children's homework habits around the word found that British pupils do an average 4.9 hours per week. Please see below the expectations for students at Kings Langley School.
Click on a link below to view: