"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Homework teaches students to work independently and develop self-discipline. Homework encourages students to take initiative and responsibility for completing a task. Homework allows parents to have an active role in their child's education and helps them to evaluate their child's progress. The dog ate it, I got the wrong week, it got totally ruined are all facts. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure they complete all homework on time to ensure success at Kings Langley School.
Top 14 reasons why homework is important:
- It improves your child’s thinking and memory.
- It helps your child develop positive study skills and habits that will serve him or her well throughout life.
- Homework encourages your child to use time wisely.
- It teaches your child to work independently.
- Homework teaches your child to take responsibility for his or her work.
- It allows your child to review and practice what has been covered in class.
- It helps your child to get ready for the next day’s class.
- Homework helps your child learn to use resources, such as libraries, reference materials, and computer websites to find information.
- It encourages your child to explores subjects more fully than classroom time permits.
- It allows your child to extend learning by applying skills to new situations.
- It helps your child integrate learning by applying many different skills to a single task, such as book reports or science projects.
- Homework helps parents learn more about what your child is learning in school.
- It allows parents to communicate about what he or she is learning.
- It encourages parents to spark your child’s enthusiasm.
Why do we set homework?
Homework is an important part of the learning taking place at school.
We set homework:
- To consolidate or prepare the work in class.
- To help our students to develop independent study habits.
- To encourage our students to use resources outside the classroom.
- To provide an opportunity, where appropriate, to set different tasks to meet the needs and abilities of our students.
How do we help students to organise their homework?
We place a considerable responsibility on our students to organise their homework sensibly. For any student who wishes to work on their homework at lunchtime, we provide a homework club which is staffed and where students can access extra support. They may also attend a ‘prep’ session to catch up on homework on Wednesdays after school.
Microsoft Teams App
Staff will set all homework through Teams assignments and announcements. Students will have access via the Teams App or through their Microsoft 365 log in through an internet browser. The links to the Teams app is available on the school website. Students can set notifications on their computer or device to receive information of set assignments from their teachers.
Please download the Teams App.
Parents and Homework
Homework is an area where the partnership between school and parents can help your children. Parents can encourage their children to do their homework by showing an interest in what has been set. Any queries parents may have about homework can be quickly and easily communicated through students’ email to members of staff or through the class Team chat area. Parents will receive a weekly email digest providing information of all assignments set.